An Aphorism (noun) is a pithy observation which contains a general truth.
Living in both, reality and fantasy, I can no longer believe in and fall for mighty quotes that inspire. I would much rather read into situations and discover my own learnings. A first attempt at the same, I am listing down ten aphorisms which I owe to my past experiences, friendships, and relationships.
- If somebody calls you a fool repeatedly, you will soon start believing that you are one. You will then spend a good amount of time fighting that phantom only to realise that it never existed; you never were a fool to begin with.
- The illusion of having a man by your side is painfully romantic till the time he actually is by your side.
- Often, love is only a euphemism for convenience.
- When conversations inside your head sound more enriching than outside, it’s time to change your friend circle.
- If the number of people you hate is significantly lower than the number of those you suspect hate you, congratulations, you’re doing well in life.
- Never go by words, go by actions. Actions never lie.
- When convinced that you’re being lied to, play along. Don’t make your life uncomfortable, they will only deny it, or worse, make an unconvincing argument as to why they lied.
- Never settle, it implies that someone isn’t willing to go to great lengths for you, as you see yourself doing for him/her. So, you’re just extending your own misery.
- Perception is the invention of the mind. Just like a brain tumour.
- Never mistake codependence for friendship.
Once learnt, you cannot unlearn these little findings. While the feeling isn’t too pleasant and you find yourself becoming some sort of a cynical philosopher (?), it reinforces the fact that there is always room to learn.
Do leave your aphorisms/ thoughts/ findings/ love in the quotes!